[mythtv] Channel management

ramon.roca at xcombo.com ramon.roca at xcombo.com
Thu Jul 24 05:28:14 EDT 2003

Well, the problem that you describe it's really the main point that I'm
getting adressed to. It gets even more relevant on DVB.s where you are
potentially able to load hundreds of channels of many languages.

To help on this, that's why DVB-s "internet import" is able to do things
like import channels just for the languages you want, and also group them
to a list. I do think that doing in that way gets even better than any
commercial box receiver that I've seen. But for sure that once we get the
basement, a lot more things could be added. In the meantime that note that
for DVB-s, there is many features already available that play with
channels.conf files, so just supporting that....

Don't know how to implement those kind of things in other type of
channels. I don't know if it is also a real issue, however certainly the
solution will be easily extended to them.

mythchannels will have a way to "delete" a channel, I wasn't planning for
a "hide". At this point, not "massive", just channel per channel. My
suggested tip at this point, is that if yoy don't want a channel list with
everything available, you must import only the channels that you are
interested and then, assign it to groups. Not sure how much available
group editing features I'll include at this point.

About the player for the preview, new mythchannels have a setting that
points to which player have to be used. Defaults to mythtv, which
certainly makes sense, but hasn't been implemented yet, it can't since
it's still unstable for some features, so no preview available now. To w/a
this,
it can be set to any external player and have also settings to describe
the system command to be executed, just like mythvideo, or the external
change channel call. I do find it useful to me and allows me to work on
that so what does not makes sense is take this out. By default I can
provide a readme explaining how to setup this preview with mplayer and
dvbstream (which is what I'm using now), but then everybody can also call
whatever player of choice.

I'm doing in that way certainly for being able to be included in the CVS.
But I don't know, those kind of discussions sometimes looks more something
like "what has to be first, the egg or the hen?"

Ramon.