[mythtv] mythtv-setup segfaulting on startup

Samuel Kesterson mythtv-dev at k-labs.com
Wed Jul 23 21:42:43 EDT 2003

	(This reply may show up on the list twice. I replied from the wrong
account the first time)

Thus spake Isaac Richards (ijr at po.cwru.edu):

>On Wednesday 23 July 2003 10:25 am, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 05:47:26PM -0500, Samuel Kesterson wrote:
>> > 	I am as green to mythtv as can be, but not to Linux or matters of
>> > Debian library hell. This one however, I can't get resolved.
>>
>> Are you sure you don't have any extraneous libraries installed from source?
>> This backtrace looks like your libraries are broken, and if you install
>> everything from the packages, this doesn't happen.

	Positive. As I said, mythtv was installed from packages first thing on a
new install. I hadn't even been through tasksel yet, so it certainly can
happen if you install everything from packages. :)

>No, it most likely was a bug in mythtv -- but it's pretty much a non-issue
>now, as the guy that reported it verified (on the IRC channel) that it's
>fixed in CVS by stuff I did shortly after the last release.
>
>Isaac

	And yes, CVS fixed my problem. I now have setup running, and have
everything configured. mythbackend starts up like it should, but I still don't
have a mythtv frontend working. It's not an issue with mythtv though. It's due
to the POS onboard sound card I have.

	Thanks for all the help.

	P.S. If anyone knows why a via8233 would do nothing but loop the first
second or so of a sound sample until you kill the playing process, feel free to
let me know off list (or on list if it's appropriate). I have already worked
through IRQ conflict issues, and tried alsa (which made things think they had a
/dev/dsp, but no sound played and the applications hung until I killed them
(and yes I checked the mixer)), but to no avail.      -- Thanks again :)

~~
Samuel Kesterson