[mythtv] mythtv-database deb installation on woody not faring well

Jeff jadams at hoovers.com
Thu Jul 17 00:34:41 EDT 2003

export DEBCONF_DEBUG=developer is cool.

I now understand what was going on. The first time I tried to set this
up, I told the mythtv-database package that I had a mysql password,
(which I may or may not actually have had at the time). In any event,
the initial installation bombed, but the initial mysql root password
response is apparently cached in /var/cache/debconf/config.dat.

So I figured I could purge all of the packages, and start again, and
this time take all the defaults. So I purged, re-installed, and even
though the dialog was asking if I had a mysql root password (to which I
  properly responded with the default of no ), it still must have been
picking the password out of the config.dat file.

Now that I've modified the config.dat file by removing the password from
the "Name: mythtv/mysql_admin_password" section, everything installed
just fine.

Hope this helps someone else, and if you need/want further detail on
anything, let me know, and I'll do what I can.

Thanks a bunch,

- Jeff