[mythtv] detiecting upcoming recordings in frontend/mythweb

Geoffrey Hausheer ou401cru02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Jul 10 13:41:25 EDT 2003

I was playing with Chris's new mythweb overhaul (very nice), and I
noticed it doesn't handle the case of marking a recurring recording which
isn't going to actually record because the episode has been recorded in
the past (when browing the program-listing screen).  This is something
I'd really like to see, because it lets me decide if I can schedule
another program at the same time without causing a conlict.

Adding a special border/tag/whatever looks pretty easy (it is
essesntially just a modified query similar to
ScheduledRecording::findAllProgramsToRecord).  I'll be happy to submit a
patch to Chris implementing this.

However, I noticed that the program guide in mythfrontend doesn't show
this info either.  Also, the query in
ScheduledRecording::findAllProgramsToRecord isn't exactly ideal (it can
only detect cases of programs that have already been recorded, and can't
detect the case of looking at a program on wednesday which is a repeat
from tuesday when it will be recorded).

Anyhow, the question then arises whether it would be better to have
mythbackend handle these nasty queries, and send a message to mythbackend
per potential-recording to verify that it actually will be recorded.  The
downside of this, is that there could be a potentially large number of
queries needed, which could slow down retrieving program info (in
general, the list of potential to-record programs is generated on a
channel-by-channel basis).

Anyhow, this second method seems better to me overall (implement a
VerifyRecording method in the backend, which checks whether we really
plan to record a given program), and I'll volunteer to write it if this
seems sane to others.  Otherwise, I'll just do a simpler query in mythweb
(which won't be as accurate, but will be better than what we have today),
and submit a patch to Chris.

Or maybe this has been discussed before.  I didn't see anything in the
archives tho.
.Geoff
--
  Geoffrey Hausheer