[mythtv] Additional functionality question

Christopher Maahs cmaahs at eatenbygrue.com
Wed Jul 9 17:16:57 EDT 2003

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Robert Vesco wrote:

> Hello.
>
> You folks have put together a lovely application. It works startlingly well
> for me. I have a question, though. I have a family member who lives
> outside the U.S. -- so far outside that there is effectively zero english
> language tv service available. I read about TV Bricks at
> http://www.tvbrick.com and thought that the division of labor between the
> myth front and back ends might lend itself to being able to mimic this
> functionality.

Well, let us consider that the stream that they are sending would
effectively be similar to the stream that mythTV sends.  Some sort of
compressed video stream, to be uncompressed at the other end.  I have my
doubts about how well their system really works.  Perhaps they are
capturing at 120x120 :)

One could setup a mythfrontend and connect it to a mythbackend over the
internet but you'd also have to scale way back on your capture quality.
Especially considering that most broadband providers limit upstream to 128
or 256 these days anyway.

Results would be harsh, but certainly it could be done.

~cj