[mythtv] Relationship of XVideo to V4L

Kristof Pelckmans kristof.pelckmans at antwerpen.be
Wed Jul 9 10:07:42 EDT 2003

Great explanation !

It took me a much longer time to figure this all out, especially since
information on the XVideo extension seems to be scarce. (So maybe include in
the Howto as extra info ?)

However, I still have one question : I saw the following line in a XF86Config
file :

Load "v4l"

What does this do ? As far as I understand, the v4l driver is loaded as a kernel
module, so why this extra line ? In the XFree86 documentation they speak about
'server extension modules', so is this a special X-version of v4l ? I found
that commenting it out does not seem to make a difference.

Keep up that great info !

Kristof