[mythtv] Re: [XFree86] Relationship of XVideo to V4L

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 8 17:13:55 EDT 2003

Actually, I believe it provides an API for an *application* that talks to
the capture card (via V4L) to pass the video directly to the video card for
output.  X itself (the X server, that is) doesn't talk to the card, it
merely listens to an application that's talking to the card (i.e., Xawtv).
Bottom line: V4L == capture, Xv == output.

-JAC