[mythtv] New version of mythtv Installation Script

Cedar McKay cedarmckay at mac.com
Fri Jul 4 17:49:11 EDT 2003

> Gentoo does not need an installer script.  The Gentoo ebuilds work
> great.
>
> Additionally, I think one of Gentoo's strong points is that there is
> only one installation mechanism.  Adding custom interface for a single
> application adds something more to be maintained and yet another
> interface for users to learn.

the gentoo builds (at least when I tried them) didn't do nice stuff
like ask for your TV provider info, or have a nice easy to understand
selection of release or cvs, debug or no. And I imagine the installer
will continue to evolve perhaps asking you questions about whether you
want to upgrade your database or do a fresh install or whatever. This
script doesn't need to replace apt or emerge, it uses them! But it
makes a nice windows style install experience that is really easy for a
newbie. I enjoy showing off my Myth system to friends and family, and I
tell them how hard it was for me to get going (this was the days back
before Robert's documentation and when I knew a lot less about linux)
but I don't ever tell them to go ahead and give it a shot. It is too
hard for people used to windows. If all they had to get through was a
Red Hat or Mandrake install (very windows like) and then run this
installer script and be done, then maybe I could recommend mythtv to my
parents some day.

best,
Cedar