[mythtv] New version of mythtv Installation Script

Cedar McKay cedarmckay at mac.com
Fri Jul 4 16:49:28 EDT 2003

Dwight, I'm really impressed with your installer. Or at least I think I
will be once I get it working.

Possible Bug?:
I tried it out on my RH 9 system. When I got to the "Select the source
for your tv listings" screen I chose U.S.A from the pull-down, then
entered my zip (98103). However, the "TV provider" pull-down list was
never populated. I waited a couple of minutes, but nothing showed up. I
assume you hit zap2it for this info? If so, I think this is a bug,
because when I tried mythfilldatabase a couple of minutes later on my
RH8 system and got listings, so I imagine zap2it is up. I tried again,
but nothing. I hit next anyway and the script proceeded to download and
install a bunch of stuff. But with about 1/4 of the progress bar
remaining the installer disappeared. I assume the root cause is the
failed tv-listings selection. I have attached the mythtv_installer.log
from /tmp below.

General comments:
1) When I do wget -q -O - http://mythtv.dwightandamy.com/go.sh|sh after
it says it has downloaded installer.py there is quite a pause (30
seconds?) before the graphical interface comes up. Perhaps you should
print out something like "please wait while the installer starts up" so
people don't think there has been a crash.

2)If failing to successfully select the "TV provider" info was the root
cause of my subsequent failure, maybe the "next" button should be
disabled on that screen until that step is successful. Along with that
maybe an error message can be printed out if provider info can't be
retrieved.

3)You have debug on by default. Perhaps that should only be the case
when the user selects "CVS" rather than a stable release, since debug
hurts performance.

4) I briefly thought "debug" meant debug messages for the installer
rather than for myth. Perhaps that text should be clarified.

5) I noticed that the installer was trying to install alsa. With my
motherboard the drivers included with RH9 (but not RH8) worked fine, so
I don't find it desirable to screw with them in my case.

Not that I know anything about anything, but I think your installer is
a really great idea. If support for debian based systems and gentoo can
be added to the script this would make a really elegant solution to the
difficulty some people have installing mythtv. I think gentoo, debian
and rpm based systems make up the bulk of the mythtv users, so that
would be great.

Thanks for your work,
Cedar