[mythtv] Automatic deletion

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Wed Jul 2 17:27:56 EDT 2003

> Chris, I agree in spirit with what you are suggesting but I
> think there should be a "keep" bool for the recorded table
> that means that a file is not eligible for automatic deletion
> under any circumstances. I'd hate to have a terrible surprise
> if I went on vacation.

I can agree with that.  I've got at least 2 shows that are months
old that I've told my told my wife "Don't touch these!" :)

> Using the ranking as a factor in weighting automatic deletion
> is a great idea but there really should be other factors in the
> scoring too. Age and number of episodes should also figure into

I think it should allow multiple delete algorithms.  It should
be fairily easy to implement, just give the user a combobox in the
setup and give them options like:

"Auto-Delete Order (delete in this order)"

	* OFF
	* Oldest
	* Oldest Unwatched
	* Lowest Rating

We're only talking a page or two of code for each method.  It will be nice
if any initial code is flexible enough to plugin other methods, but that's
up to the person who actually stops talking and starts coding. :)  It's
not a high priority for me right now since I have lots of space or else I'd
start tackling it.  I'm busy putzing around the commercial stuff and other
code right now.

Chris