[mythtv] Multi-stage video storage

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Tue Jul 1 02:49:33 EDT 2003

Brian Foddy wrote:

>multiple level (2 at least) video location database.
>
>record to the local drives, then spawn another process when its done (and perhaps idle) to move the files via nfs to the remote machine.
>
>On playback, it could either play directly via NFS, or probably more efficently reverse the process and copy the file back (if space is available) so it can play locally.

Not sure, if you know that, but I think that's called "hierarchical
storage". You could search for that (in combination with "Linux") on the
web, for solutions. Usually, that's $n0000 soft/hardware stuff for big
companies, but there might be cheaper, home-brewn software solutions. I
saw a mention of hierarchical storage support in SGI's XFS, but I didn't
look into it, so I don't know to which extend that "support" goes, but
maybe you find something useful. Tell us, if you did find a good solution.

Ben