[mythtv] *New* [APP/patch] MythChannels

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Tue Jul 1 02:13:12 EDT 2003

Ramon Roca wrote:

>>I'm not going to apply anything that adds a dependency on mplayer.
>>

>Please give me a reason.

Just for your information, because you asked:

    * mplayer is made by arrogant and clueless morons and on the border
      of legality (I don't mean patents here, but violations of the
      intent of the GPL and other copyrights). The code must be terrible
      and I think it even uses MS Windows binaries and stuff like that
      (not sure, if in the usual distro packages). I wouldn't want to
      have that on my system.
    * My server (backend) has no monitor connected. I use SSH for admin
      and used X display redirection for the mythtv setup app. I don't
      think mplayer would work in such a setup.

>-The mythtv app as far as I know is about recording, slow for doing this, setup channels is about live TV. That was was quite uncomfortable for doing this job.

I'm a bit confused. It seems to work fine in the Instant Recording
dialog. Didn't you even use it yourself in your Manual Scheduling
dialog? I haven't looked at that code at all, but I would have thought
that it would be almost the same, from a UI code standpoint.

>-Mplayer is far ahead supporting digital options, such as ac3 sound, choice of audio pids, subtitling, etc... That will be quite useful when testing the DVB and working with the new stuff, if mplayer does, mythtv should do as well....

If you want a *real* preview, you should use the same means that are
used for actual LiveTV or recording. If it works in the setup app, it
should work in LiveTV, or people will be very confused. If they want to
troubleshoot and have mplayer available, they can still try that manually.

>As a summary, to work with the current tv app is right now not possible at this point, unless I have to spent weeks working on it, which makes no sense now to me, I do vision other priorities.

Personally, I wouldn't need any preview window there at all.

BTW: Thanks for the patch.