[mythtv]

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Thu Jan 30 22:13:51 EST 2003

Gary Sinclair wrote:
> I read this perfectly and I understand the concept.
> Muting the line-in <> Not turning off the TV-Card
> itself.  I understand it may be a solution for some,
> but I dont think it really addressed what I was
> referring to.  Please to don't take this as a flame,
> as you did help me figure out another problem I had.
 >
 > I grabbed the latest CVS and it works as intended now.

Well, that is the important thing. Glad you got it working.

The problem in this thread came from confusion about
the assumption that there was some sort of "turn off the
card" that needed to happen. I trust you can see now
it is simply that there is is always an analog audio
stream passing coming from channel you are tuned to. At
first, the bttv driver isn't loaded so nothing is going
through. Once the driver is loaded and line-in
is unmuted, the analog signal is passing through. The
"turn off the card" is really "mute line-in". The tests
you did with myth and xawtv simply described when line in
was muted or unmuted. The video card is in no way using
any compute resources when you aren't recording. There is
no turning off of the card that needs to happen.

For MythTV to work, the real-time analog signal needs to
be off (muted) all the time. Any audio you hear is first
recorded from /dev/dsp then played back through /dev/dsp.
This isn't simply a solution for some but the only way
myth (or any other recording application) can work for
everyone. This is so easily misunderstood that is is
addressed in the docs for installation, troubleshooting
and the FAQ.

All the messages suggesting you mute line-in from me,
and I assume from others, weren't meant to criticize you
but rather to suggest that you needed to rethink what
is really going on and what you need to do to find the
right solution.

--  bjm