[mythtv]

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Thu Jan 30 22:36:34 EST 2003

Dustin Rue wrote:
> I have to continue the "mythtv doesn't close the tv card" thread.
>
> I think it's BS that mythtv doesn't close the TV card when done recording.
>  For some of us that trick of muting linein doesn't work.

Muting line-in (or whatever input you use) is not a trick
but a requirement. If the real-time analog sound is passing
through, that is not the sound that is part of recording and
playback.

 > I use an old
> Ensoniq using the esn_1370 driver.  This card *doesn't* record from linein
> if you turn it down, mute it or what ever.

You are absolutely correct. Muting does not cause recording
to work. Muting is merely a prerequisite to get rid of the
real-time analog sound. To record you need to get capture
working for the input source to digitize the sound so that
it can be stored in a file (or the ringbuffer).

> ...I'ved used kmix, alsamixer and neither do it right.

Hum, use alsamixer to do the test and follow the suggestions
in http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-17.html#ss17.11
I use Ensoniq drivers for a couple cards I use on different
machines. If you can't get it to work, let me know where you
run aground.

Hope this helps,

--  bjm