[mythtv] numeric keys for EPG navigation

Chris Lack ixion at linuxpusher.com
Wed Jan 29 15:59:43 EST 2003

On Wednesday 29 January 2003 02:47 pm, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> The current numeric bindings in the EPG (1, 3, 7, 9) are oriented for a
> computer keyboard ("calculator" layout), while remote controls have the
> opposite ("telephone" layout).  I would like to change them to make sense
> for a remote.  Are there any objections to this?

This wouldn't effect my usage that I'm aware of.  However, I have a small
nitpick about the current key bindings.  Most remotes these days have the
four directional buttons as well as channel + - buttons.  As it currently
stands, it is logical to bind up/down/left/right to the directional buttons
on the remote.

This way navigating through both the main gui and the EPG feels natural.
Also, as with several DirecTV receivers I've had experience with, I can bind
PgUp and PgDown to my ch+ ch- remote buttons and move up and down through the
EPG a full page at a time.

My nitpick is with mythtv, which uses the up/down keys to change channels and
the PgUp/PgDown keys to skip a large chunk of time.  Since in tv mode
left/right is used for ff/rw, would it be unreasonable to swap the bindings
for up/down PgUp/PgDown to make it feel a little more consistant with the
rest of the myth suite?