[mythtv] Debugging mythtv?

Ainsley McCall ainsley at techshop.net
Wed Jan 29 10:46:33 EST 2003

Hi, I noticed today that a few folks were talking about using DDD to debug
mythtv 0.7.
I tried this last week with mixed results.  GDB always complains that it
cannot find any debugging symbols.  I tried to explicitly force them into
the compile by writing a perl script to add the -ggdb flag to every gcc and
g++ in the tree makefiles.  It appears as though this is working, but still
no symbols.  I presume that there was some other optimization flag that was
taking precedence over my hacked-in flag to add debugging symbols, or they
were getting linked out later.  There's gotta be a better way to do this.

Perhaps I'm debugging the wrong executable.  Should my command line be
something other than `gdb mythtv` or `ddd mythfrontend`?

Anyone have a quick tip on getting this to go?