[mythtv] Poll: what CPU with Dual Tuners/PIP?

Larry Matter mythtv at matter.net
Sat Jan 25 21:12:43 EST 2003

I just installed a second tuner (Hauppauge WinTV PCI w/FM); works great,
even btaudio.

But with only a 1.4GHz Athlon, PIP doesn't look so good.  I am going to
upgrade to a better processor but before I do I want to see what people
with two-tuner systems are using.  I checked the hardware database - it
doesn't track multiple tuner systems.

I did see a comment in the documentation that you need roughly 1GHz per
tuner, but as was recently discussed, processor clock speed is not the
best  measure of performance.  The 2GHz Athlon's aren't cheap so I was
hoping I might be able to get by with, say, an AMD 2100 (1.73GHz) which
seems to be where the price break is.

As an aside, when Mythtv supports multiple servers (with one master), is
it envisioned to support PIP using tuners in different servers?

Lastly, I want to reiterate Isaac's comment about btaudio (it either works
or it doesn't).  I struggled (without success) trying to get it to work
with my Pinnacle PCTV Pro.  Btaudio loaded, the dsp's appeared, but no
sound.  The Hauppauge worked right after I loaded btaudio.

Thanks,
Larry Matter