[mythtv] Myth box stability problem resolved (hangs, lockups)

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Sat Jan 25 12:48:49 EST 2003

> Van: Colin Panisset <mythtv at clabber.com>
>
> It turned out to be an L2 cache problem. Turning off the L2 cache ECC
> checking in the BIOS has fixed the problem, and the box appears solid
now.

Huh, you better return your CPU and get a replacement. The normal behaviour
to ECC errors is halting the machine directly (that's the hangs you
report). So unless your motherboard -though I guess the CPU does ECC by
itself- is broken this means that memory degredation (bit toggling) in your
L2 cache occure. Which can cause all sorts of horrible things inside
programs when not detected/corrected by ECC...

I hope you understand this shouldn't happen and that your CPU is actually
broken then...

	Henk Poley <><