[mythtv] RE: Hosting Space for MythTV stuff

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Sat Jan 25 08:53:50 EST 2003

> Van: Micah Morton <micah at oregontech.net>
>> Van: Isaac Richards <ijr at po.cwru.edu>
>>> On Thursday 23 January 2003 06:25 pm, Micah Morton wrote:
>>>
>>> I agree.  Wiki would be an awesome way for people to communicate their
>>> succeses, hardware lists, configurations, you name it. It even has
>>> support for in-page file attachments so we could upload, say, our
>>> config files for others to use.  I'd like to see mythtv.org impliment
>>> a wiki system. Hell, the whole site could VERY easily be converted to
>>> wiki.  I'll volunteer to do/help with it. What do you think Isaac?
>>
>> I have a very strong dislike of wikis.
>
> What about a forum/phpBB type thing? Atleast that way it can be easily
> searchable to the average joe. Would be better organized as well, could
be
> seperated into "hardware" and "software" and "configurations" and
> "Wanted/For Sale". Something like that.

None of these are optimal. Forums tend to grow into seperate
"mailinglists", the same things are discussed in different fora. Wiki's
have the problems of erasure. But that can be easely fixed by using a
'half-open' wiki, where you need a login to edit/post comments. You could
also add /. alike 'karma' which you can collect by posting good comments to
wiki-items, when you collect some points you can write items too. Plus
wikis are (..can be..) full blown webpages an sich. With fora you always
have discussions about the evil maintainers that banned you or deleted your
post.

	Henk Poley <><