[mythtv] micro ATX motherboards & MythtTV

m0j0.j0j0 m0j0 at foofus.net
Fri Jan 24 10:05:16 EST 2003

I have an ASUS A7N266-VM working now with Myth. As long as you are aware
of a couple key tricks with this board, you should be fine...

-use LILO rather than GRUB (won't boot with GRUB)
-use nVidia-provided video drivers
-use nVidia-provided network/misc drivers

Unfortunately, I found these each out very slowly/painfully. Video is
just fine for me using the AiTech NTSC converter. Audio sounds good
using ALSA.

I'm still having some problems with USB. I think it may be working now
with usb-ohci. Not 100% convinced though...

-j

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 01:16, Larry Matter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking to get a Micro ATX motherboard for a system that will be a
> mythtv frontend.  I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations.
> There are three I'm looking at right now:
>
> AOpen MK77M-V
> ASUS A7N266-VM
> Gigabyte GA-7VKML (used in the supermegaultragroovy box)
>
> I want on-board sound & lan, don't care about video or usb.  I Need DDR
> and AGP slot.  Obviously it needs to be supported by Linux.  Oh, and no
> fans (other than the CPU).
>
> Although I own a couple ASUS motherboards, I am shying away from the
> A7N266-VM just because I saw some posts about problems with X.  But I'm
> going to use a geforce2 card instead of the onboard video so maybe that
> doesn't matter.
>
> Thanks for any help
> Larry Matter

m0j0.j0j0 <m0j0 at foofus.net>