[mythtv] recording directv line-in

March the Mad Scientist kennric at hypothetical.net
Thu Jan 23 04:39:55 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 03:29, Erik Arendse wrote:
> At 23-1-03 12:16, March the Mad Scientist wrote:
> >Basically, I have a directv box that I watch via svideo in to my
> >Hauppage wintv card. I am able to watch it with MythTv, pause and play,
> >etc (after some fiddling with btaudio), but I can't record from it.
> >Obviously MythTv can't change channels on the directtv box
>
> Yes it can: http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-10.html#ss10.3

But not without lirc, which I don't have setup yet... I mean it
physically can't change the channel on the external box. I believe the
WinTV ir input is input only, so I won't be controlling my directtv box
with it even with lirc.

<snipped>

> Channels are defined as a combination of numbr and an input. If you added
> your directtv channels all would have a channelnumber (to be send to your
> directtv box with lirc) and all would have input 0.
> Basically it would be just another channel to the user of the EPG.

Is the script referenced on that page, ppv.pl, the thing to do this
with? If I run it, it updates the database, but MythTv has a heart
attack when I try watching tv (slows to a crawl, 99% cpu usage). If I go
straight to 'record' I get the same old tv grid, with no extra channel.
Perhaps this script is meant for version 0.8? It is not well documented.
I see where it inserts channels, but I don't know how this interacts
with inputs and the grid.

I will look at it more tomorrow, I have only been at it for a few hours,
I don't really understand whats going on yet. Thanks for the tip, I
think I am on the right track... What a great piece of software, I am
impressed.

Thanks,
Ken

--