[mythtv] Closed Captioning & Teletext/Videotext

Erik Arendse erik_nospam.arendse at bigfoot.com
Thu Jan 23 07:47:24 EST 2003

At 22-1-03 17:55, Robert Kulagowski wrote:
>Sounds excellent.  It will be a useful feature for TVs that don't
>have a close caption decoder in them.  It might be nice if there was
>a configurable option: "Display subtitles / close caption when
>muted."  Which would imply sound support from within myth rather than
>externally muting the TV.

If there is a mute-function in mythtv (I never looked but there could be)
it should be a 2 line change to implement that option, and another 2 lines
to make it configurable. Why not...

>I suppose that once there's a generic means of adding text
>information to the file, adding a new frame type like "PI" (Program
>information) to keep track of the title, etc, will be simpler and
>make it easier to repopulate the database if it crashes / gets bad
>information in it.
MythTV has been ready for text since 0.7 or before, it just wasn't used.
The frametypes were defined and skipped on playing, I just had to add a
means to code and decode them. Adding another type should be trivial.

As a beside and if you live in Europe (but as you write "close caption" I
suppose you don't :-): MythTV will store _all_ teletext marked as
subtitles, which for a lot of channels means the program information is
there as well. Only sometimes it will be for all channels of the same
company...

Erik