[mythtv] Can't Make Myth 0.7

Larry Matter mythtv at matter.net
Wed Jan 22 21:46:29 EST 2003

> Could you explain what exactly linking that file did.  Thanks.

Well on Mandrake (and similar systems) it's like this:

The /etc/rcX.d directories, where X is a run level, contain links to
scripts in the /etc/init.d directory.  The links have names like
SNNscriptname, where S means startup (and K means shutdown), and NN is the
order in which to run the script.

By linking the file below you are saying you want to startup mysql when
you enter run level 5 (and run level 5 means you automatically start up X
windows) and run *after* any scripts with numbers less than 90.

I just noticed that on my Mandrake 9 machine I already have a file called
K90mysql - in that case you can probably rename (or copy) that link to
S90mysql and it should also fix it.

And btw, if you don't automatically startup X windows then you also want
to do this step in /etc/rc3.d

See /etc/inittab for a description of the run levels.

>> $ su
>> # cd /etc/rc5.d
>> # ln -sf ../init.d/mysql S90mysql
>> # ./S90mysql