[mythtv] Anyone Selling MythTV PVRs?

Benjamin Binford binford at cloud9.net
Wed Jan 22 19:38:07 EST 2003

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 06:20:43PM -0600, Ryan A. Carris wrote:
> Cost of the subscriptions...
>
> Something that I've been wondering about, is scraping Zap2it's listing
> legal, or at least accepted?

>From their copyright notice:

While you may interact with or download a single copy of any portion of the Content for your own personal, non-commercial entertainment, information or use, you may not and may not authorize others to reproduce, sell, publish, distribute, modify, display, repost or otherwise use any portion of the Content in any other way or for any other purpose without the prior written consent of TMS. Requests regarding use of the Content for any purpose other than personal, non-commercial use should be directed to Feedback at Zap2it.com.

Which seems to imply that it's ok for xmltv to download the information.

> Zap2it is owned by Tribune Media Services, who sells the same listings
> to people like DirectTV, Tivo, and newspapers.  The Tivo subscription
> are to partly pay Tribune Media Services for the listings. Zap2it
> provides these listings on their website for free, because you have to
> look at advertising.
>
> We by scraping their website are bypassing their ads, therefore they
> might not like this, even if it were legal, and could slam the door shut
> on us at any time.
>
> But, the thought provoking question that needs to be answered in the
> future is:
>
> If someone puts files on a webserver, but does not link to them so that
> the only way of get to them is trial and error exploration, is this
> trespassing?  The premise is that only file linked are intended for
> public consumption and therefore public.  Any file not linked, is not
> intended for public consumption, and therefore accessing these files is
> trespassing.  Does linking to a file make it public, or does placing on
> a webserver make it public?
>
> If you argue the latter, then where does the public/nonpublic line stop?
>    Are all files on the webserver, including system files then public?
>  I would say no, because the directory is not world readable.  But
> whatif a directory was accidentally made world readable.  This doesn't
> make it public, because the intent was to keep it private.  And if you
> use intent as the rule, then only files linked to are public.
>
> This would of course mean that scraping could be illegal trespassing.
>
> Something to think about.
>
> -rac
>

> Alex Davidson wrote:
> >You think?  Even when you consider the lack of monthly fees or lifetime
> >subscriptions?
> >By my reckoning you'd pay $448 for a 40hr Tivo with a lifetime subscription
> >(almost the same for Replay) or on a monthly plan you'd pay $354.40 the
> >first yr then $155.40 every yr henceforth, you don't think you could sell a
> >consumer on the concept of paying $400 or so for a superior feature set and
> >never pay another penny for subscriptions?
> >
> >(Okay, I haven't sat down and found the best & least expensive components
> >suitable for this, so I'm estimating at $400)
> >
> >Alex

 La Brea Tar Pits
 As seen on the tar channel