[mythtv] Myth box stability problem resolved (hangs, lockups)

Colin Panisset mythtv at clabber.com
Wed Jan 22 10:20:03 EST 2003

I haven't seen any mention of this on the list, but it's a problem that's
been bugging me for quite some time now, and I figured that mentioning it
here at least once might save someone some hair-pulling.

My Myth box is a Shuttle SV24, with a P3 1GHz and 768MB RAM. It doesn't have
a hard drive (network booting), and video is a Matrox G200-TV.

The problems were that the box would hang solid, sometimes not even
responding to the reset button (!!) when playing back video. It didn't
matter whether it was random mpegs, .avi files, or myth-recorded stuff. I
could also hang the box solid by starting a mozilla window and dragging the
scrollbar up and down fast.

It turned out to be an L2 cache problem. Turning off the L2 cache ECC
checking in the BIOS has fixed the problem, and the box appears solid now.

Hope this helps someone,
  -- C.