[mythtv] Re: DirecTV Question

tarek Lubani tarek at tarek.2y.net
Mon Jan 20 18:24:29 EST 2003

Hey Jeff!!!

Several bigger issues here, so I thought I'd post this response to the list..

1) What receiver should I use??

The only things that really separate receivers in this day and age (other
than hdtv/dd5.1 support) are their ability to deal with signal and the
front end.. Mythtv *is* a front end, so the latter consideration absolutely
*does not matter*.. If you can find a receiver that picks up a good signal,
then you are set!

I personally have almost no experience with IR blasters (look around for
actisys postings).. HOWEVER, I do have experience with serial connections
to the computer. They are very quick, extremely reliable, and easy to
implement. Personally, all of this meant that I gave up my 5th gen Hughes
receiver (WITHOUT port) for a 2nd gen Uniden receiver (WITH port). There is
absolutely no difference to the viewer, since myth does all the frontend work.

My uniden receiver cost nothing. In fact, a dude gave me 2 of them just so
I would get them out of his face.. this is the current state when you
consider that most people aren't running myth (suckers!) and need the
higher speed/better looking guides on newer models.. So, i wouldn't spend
more than 10-20 bucks USD for another receiver if you were going to go that
route..

2) What about the option of IR blasting my current receiver?
LIRC is extremely robust and quite well-supported. When I had problems, the
writer of the program supported me much as Isaac does out here.. I spent
$15 CDN ($10 USD) making my IR receiver: $5 CDN for the actual IR
components, and $10 CDN for the "housing" (http://tarek.2y.net/romote.jpg).
as I understand, a transmitter is similar in price.. You can find some
really great schematics at http://lirc.org. Just monitor the convo on the
myth-dev list and on lirc's list for more information..

All in all, I think that MythDTV is great. A few bugs (such as local
channels) to be worked out, but it's on its way..

tarek : )