[mythtv] s-video input / widescreen tv ?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Mon Jan 20 06:04:33 EST 2003

Erik Arendse wrote:
> At 20-1-03 14:01, you wrote:
>
>>> If mythTV knows which format a recording has and could control your
>>> TV, it can turn the TV in 4:3 for all menus, and show normal pictures
>>> as 4:3, while showing pictures from anamorphic sources squashed into
>>> 16:9.
>>
>> Do not attempt to adjust your set. We control the vertical.
>> We control the horizontal. The best approach would be to
>> leave the TV, and thus the X screen, at 16:9 then set the
>> dimension of the Xv output to the desired aspect ratio.
>

> Nope.
>
> That's just when you have a _real_  physical anamorphic 16:9 display.

I thought Laurent was referring to a physical 16:9 display.
I didn't realize you had something different...

 > ...At
> home I have a TV (CRT tube) which can switch over to 16:9. It does that
> by deflecting the rays less in the vertical direction, so I still have
> the same amount of lines.

So it is physically 4:3? In the US, all I've ever seen are
16:9 for high definition. I'd prefer a 4:3 screen that could
compress the raster lines for HDTV. What brand/model do you
have? I assume it isn't compatible with US TV but I'm curious
to see any sets that work this way.

--  bjm