[mythtv] s-video input / widescreen tv ?

Laurent Farcy laurent.farcy at freesbee.fr
Mon Jan 20 12:31:16 EST 2003

Erik Arendse wrote:
> At 20-1-03 11:41, Laurent Farcy wrote:
>

> Two seperate questions in fact:
>
> A) does the tuner recognize the widescreen code, and can the TV output
> add it to the generated signal again?
> Simply stated: No. Several standards exist to signal a widescreen
> transmission, first tell me which one is used by your cable box. If it
> has SCART out (should have as SCART was invented by the French :-) one
> pin normally is used to indicate anamorphic signal.
> I know of no TV-in card which can detect that, but it would be easy to
> build yourself (just connect to a LPT in-pin and read the line)
> Output can be done the same way on the outgoing scart pin.
> Other standards are used in the US (signal is transmitted alongside the
> CC title data) and in Europe alongside the VPS/VideoText data. Detecting
> those is no problem (especially when I finished subtitle support for
> MythTV), but sending them on a videosignal again is (I don't know of any
> software/hardware yet which can do that).

I didn't know there was no standard for signaling a widescreen
transmission. Apparently, since I live in France, it must be the SCART
pin 1 you mention.

Let's say, it would be a plus if the widescreen transmission signal
could be sent. But I can still switch my tv to full widescreen if tv-out
is anamorphic.

> B) can you record/play anamorphic?
> Yes, no problem. Anamorphic just means you squash the image into 4:3
> when transmitting it, it is only handled by the camera and the final
> display, any transfer channel in between (and myhtTV in this case is
> just a time-delayed transfer channel) just had to pass it along the data
> unchanged. As a user-aid a 1-bit flag is included to indicate the
> anamorphic format.

great news. Even though, there are a few channels which broadcast 16:9
programmes :-\

> If you can detect the flag correctly you can even flatten the display of
> the XV window on the computerscreen.

Not sure I understand what you mean. But since, I haven't yet built and
played with MythTV, let's move forward .

> 4/ Last, I'm wondering if there's a difference in terms of quality
> between tv tuner cards for video grabbing, and particularly in my case
> for s-video input grabbing. The differences could be, I guess, on
> maximum resolution, visual quality, widescreen handling, ... So if you
> could share your experience, I would appreciate your feedback.
> Max resolution is fixed for any PAL or NTSC standard. You can't grab any
> more lines then are transmitted, you just have to accept TV was meant
> for a V screen. If you have satelite or cable, perhaps you can grab some
> digital channels, they are not limited that way, but MythTV just
> supports analog TV tuner cards (for now???).

So there are some limitations in quality due to the source itself. But,
for a same video source, are there some differences in terms of visual
quality between one tv tuner card and another ? Maybe some cards have
better decoding chips ?

> Erik

Thanks very much Erik.

Laurent