[mythtv] Some Ideas on MythTV - Convergence

Risto Treksler risto at elkhornbanff.ca
Fri Jan 17 22:41:23 EST 2003

Stephan Wentz <wentz at gmx.de> said:

> > 1.
> > The MythMovie is already there as MythVideo. (I has a new cvs commit I'm
> > adding this weekend with lots of good
> > Changes)
> >
> > The big issue with this is do we go write a whole full-blown app like
> > mplayer, always keep up with
> > The latest codecs,..etc..or do we just spawn off to mplayer and let them
> > deal with it.
> > The latter is what I'm doing now.
> >
> > If people prefer, I could try and rip out the guts of mplayer and
> > directly make a MythVideo/Movie
> > Application..if that's what the overall vision is, then I guess it's
> > better to start sooner than later.
> >
> > Personally, I'm using mythvideo with mythtv 100% of the time. It's my
> > main "tv". I have yet to have
> > Any problems. (well..except for the reemote control, but I'm working on
> > that)
>
> hmm i don't know why it should be changed? runs fine the way it is!
> maybe the selection-screen could be updated, and fit into the generell
> display-theme... and the keys should be equal to mythtv! (don't now if this
> is the case right now)

I also think there isn't a need for yet another media player (yamp)tm
For flexibility one might be able to chooose whether xine or mplayer does the
actual playback of the video.

If i understand correctly, then you are talking about updating this:
http://mythtv.sourceforge.net/mc/playbackgrab.png selection screen.

It would be nice to search by name or category in this screen
eg let the user select from all episodes of Scrubs
eg let the user select from all Sports events
something like
"select * from recorded_events where category = Sports";

It would also be nice to have a screen or a place on this screen
where it would be obvious how to play a DVD or a file off a CD
maybe

Main menu
 ->Playback
   ->Select a Recording (http://mythtv.sourceforge.net/mc/playbackgrab.png)
   ->Search Recordings
   ->Play a DVD

Again, excuse me if this already works like this,

> > 2. MythRadio. Good idea..i had actually just pulled out my radio tuner
> > card out of the attic and was thinking about it myself...
>
> great idea! i have a wintv pci-fm with a radio tuner, would be great to use
> this thing myth mythtv!

I am glad you guys like the idea about the fm tuner and a shoutcast-esque
interface

> > 3. no comment
>
> me too ;-)

Well @ any rate, it would still nice to have the system note when it has free
time and to transcode the recordings to mpeg4 during that downtime to save space.

There would have to be a way to mark certain episodes for transcoding
(eg the ones where unwanted sections have been edited out)
a half an hour episode without the 10 minutes of "stuffing" should only take
200Megs in good quality mpeg4

> > 4. what I really want to do is have mythfronend be able to run
> > completely as a "slave" i.e. listen to a network
> > Port and be able to send it commands to do..essentially giving it a
> > network API.
> > It's not quite what you're saying but could kinda jive.
>
> hmm wait a minute... hehe... this is weird... mythbackend as a server listens
> to mythfrontend as a client, and mythfrontend should listen as a server to
> some other client? this _isn't_ what a client is supposed to do! why not
> build this stuff into the server, it's _his_ work to receive data and compute
> things!
> reminds me of the mysql-discussion here ;-)

no comment

> > 5. I think this is also an awesome idea, and my opinion is expecially if
> > you are interestred in doing it,
> > That it'd be the best thing for you to do.
>
> i don't think i have any need for this, but it _really_ sounds interesting!

The concepts are there for doing videoconferencing with TV sets,
where the whole interface can be controlled with only a remote.
Setups like these have been used for things like telehealth and distance learning.

I also have the benefit of having access to a few elaborate videoconferencing
setups, that i can draw ideas from.

I really think this is worth pursuing then.

Risto.
PS. I never did get to my 6th idea, but that's a whole new thread.