[mythtv] Record now?

Stephan Wentz wentz at gmx.de
Fri Jan 17 13:43:01 EST 2003

Am Freitag, 17. Januar 2003 10:10 schrieb Chuck Wolber:
> >  a)  should the backend provide an interface to the database or
> >  b) should the frontend connect to the database directly
> >
> > Security wise, a makes more sense, but how secure do you want your
> > recordings of M*A*S*H to be???
> >
> > In most situations all connections would be behind a firewall hopefully,
> > and connecting to the db directly, and even through an api would be less
> > costly than asking for the info through the backend.
> >
> > Personally, I don't care who knows that I record junkyard wars, but
> > ymmv. ;-)
>
> From a programming standpoint, wouldn't it be better to hide the database
> behind an API anyway?

that's just my point.
maybe the backend can be seperated in serveral parts, like av-backend and
data-backend, every part does just what it's supposed to do. av-b could do
all the recording and streaming-stuff, and data-b could fire up the queries,
transmit data as needed, etc. in a prior post Mark Musone mentioned to have a
listening instance for changes of all kind, this could be done here, too

stephan