[mythtv] Can QT be found for free?

Matthew S. Hallacy poptix at techmonkeys.org
Thu Jan 16 13:21:23 EST 2003

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 11:51:53AM -0700, Alex Davidson wrote:
> I am in the early stages of determining whether I want to build a MythTV PVR
> (it sounds and looks perfect and having personally used Dish Network's PVR I
> am eager to get one again) but looking at the hardware and software
> requirements, the only problem I see is that QT seems to be not only not
> freeware, but rather expensive
> (http://www.trolltech.com/purchase/qtpricing.html).  Am I wrong?  If not,
> which version would I need to get and install:
> 1. Professional - $1,550
> 2. Enterprise - $2,330
> 3. A different version?
>
> I'm hoping there's an opensource version or something like that.
>
> Alex

>From the FAQ:

What kind of licenses exist for Qt?

The Qt toolkit is available under two different licenses: The Professional
and Enterprise Editions for commercial use on all platforms, and the Free
Edition for developing free/open source software for the X11 platform.

What are the differences between the Professional/Enterprise Editions and
Free Edition of Qt?

You may write commercial/proprietary/non-free software only if you
have purchased the Professional or Enterprise Edition. The library
itself is the same. With the commercial editions, you also get
technical support and upgrades. A non-commercial edition of Qt for
Microsoft Windows is available. Qt for Mac OS X is only available as
Professional and Enterprise Editions.

Can we use the Free Edition while developing our non-free application and
then purchase commercial licenses when we start to sell it?

No. The Free Edition license applies to the development phase - anything
developed without Professional or Enterprise Edition licenses must be
released as free/open source software.

HTH.