[mythtv] Marvel G200-TV: Some success

Ray maillists at sonictech.net
Wed Jan 15 15:03:09 EST 2003

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 11:55:23PM -0600, James D. Bearden wrote:

> XawTV, MJPEG Tools, and Xine work flawlessly, so I had high hopes for
> MythTV and the hardware MJPEG drivers. The MJPEGTools records video at
> impressive quality with almost no CPU load. Unfortunately the MJPEG
> hardware support in MythTV isn't near enough ready for prime time
> apparently. The only way I could get it to work at all was to set the
> resolution to 160x160, decimation of 2, and a quality of 10%. Setting the
> decimation to 1 caused jerky, green video.

Normally decimation 2 = 352x240 but according to settings.txt Myth ignores
the resolution setting when you use hardware mjpeg and sets it automatically
based on your decimation setting.

> With MJPEG Tools I could record
> with a quality of 100%, so needless to say the results were discouraging. I
> would suggest allowing a decimation of 4 to the setup as it might be
> helpful to play with. Even after I got the video working it was obviously
> blocky, but it was also jerky and it jumped horozontally.

Even with the mjpeg tools most people can't do decimation 1 & quality 100.
Recomended settings are more like d 1 & q 50 or d2 and q 70.

--
Ray