[mythtv] seperating backend/frontend

Shawn Pearce mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon Jan 13 19:44:26 EST 2003

Get an IRman or IRA device ($30 or $20 respectively) and
use it on the serial port of the frontend box.  LIRC should have
support for these devices and there's no backhualing required.  IR
is local to the frontend only.

I just put in a Xantech IR distribution set at home.  And it works
great to backhaul IR from my viewing room to my equipment room.

But there is still the problem of pushing the IR commands received
by the backend to the front end.

Perhaps the frontend should have a network socket open that can get
commands sent to it by the backend or any other external application,
and send all commands from IR through that interface.  The backend
can use the IR port to foward control commands to one frontend, and
other frontends would need their own receivers.

This would at least also allow some scripting or complex control
systems to be wrapped around Myth's frontend easily, as the control
system can fire anything it wants through the GUI.

Stephan Wentz <wentz@gmx.de> wrote:
> On Monday 13 January 2003 17:53, Isaac Richards wrote:
> > On Monday 13 January 2003 11:20 am, Stephan Wentz wrote:
> > > another thing that came to my mind when i was thinking about the split to
> > > backend and frontend was the remote controll... i think i can forget
> > > about my rc-receiver on my wintv when i'm using it split up, i guess?
> > > the tv-card is of course in the backend-machine, but it would be needed
> > > in the frontent-machine to use it's input... any ideas about that?
> > > maybe the backend should be able to interpret the rc-input natively, and
> > > not just as normal keystrokes, this would work...
> >
> > Only the frontend needs input from the remote, so, there's no issue with
> > this. Any commands that the frontend gets that the backend needs to take
> > care of get transmitted back to the backend.
>
> hmm but that's the problem! rc receivers on tv-cards would be useless, cause
> the tv-card is _always_ in the backend-machine! this would mean that you
> definitely need a second rc-receiver, even if your tv-card has one...
> i think this is an issue that has to be thought of...
>
> stephan

Shawn.