[mythtv] seperating backend/frontend

Stephan Wentz mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon Jan 13 16:20:05 EST 2003

Am Montag, 13. Januar 2003 16:39 schrieb Matt Zimmerman:
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 11:23:45AM +0100, Stephan Wentz wrote:
> > 1.) how fast has the frontend-machine got to be? it's only decoding, and
> > it will be a dedicated server, it will do nothing else... will a 400 mhz
> > pentium 2 be enough? or even smaller? will it help to put for example a
> > matrox g200 tv with mjpg-support? or will this only help the encoding
> > machine, the backend? i'd like to keep the machine as small (and quiet)
> > as possible...
>
> The backend and frontend have just recently been split up in CVS.  Why not
> try it and see, and tell the rest of us whether you find that your hardware
> configuration works well?

hmm the problem is that i don't have such a computer right now :)

another thing that came to my mind when i was thinking about the split to
backend and frontend was the remote controll... i think i can forget about my
rc-receiver on my wintv when i'm using it split up, i guess?
the tv-card is of course in the backend-machine, but it would be needed in the
frontent-machine to use it's input... any ideas about that?
maybe the backend should be able to interpret the rc-input natively, and not
just as normal keystrokes, this would work...

> > 2.) about bandwith... how fast has the connection between backend and
> > frontend gotta be? can someone estimate this? i will have some problems
> > getting a 100mbit-cable between those, but i have a wlan operating here,
> > with 11mbit...  would this suffice?
>
> No, it is not 11 megabits, and no, 802.11b is not really enough.

that's not quite the answer i wanted to hear, hehe
damn, have to pull some cables around the house again, hehe

bye, stephan