[mythtv] architecture, compilation and performance

Bryce C mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sun Jan 12 21:16:48 EST 2003

--=-NhPDAT5l+cj7stA8pWtY

As a Gentoo (http://www.gentoo.org) user, I must say yes, I have seen a
significant increase in performance between my Gentoo and Mandrake 8.2
boxes which are almost identical except the Gentoo box is set up for
MythTV.  I can't say anything specific about MythTV but overall, there
is an improvement.  Also, Gentoo's using gcc3.2 which has Athlon-XP as
an option.

On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 13:32, Harondel J. Sibble wrote:
> Anyone have any numbers on what sort of performance hit on takes when all=
 rpm=20
> and apps are compiled for i586 even though one is on an Athlon platform?
>=20
> I am suspecting this _might_ be part of the reason that some of us who ha=
ve=20
> decent systems (and dual tuners) have so many problems with performance (=
or=20
> lack thereof in my case).  Mandrake 8.2 by default will rebuild all rpm's=
 as=20
> i586. I am wondering if during taball compiles of mythtv components wheth=
er=20
> specifying the right (athlon) architecture will make a difference.  Anyon=
e=20
> have any experience with this?
--=20
Bryce C <Plug@BryceCo.Net>