[mythtv] Streaming over network

Curtis Stanford mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri Jan 10 17:54:00 EST 2003

I'd like to set up a mythtv client that uses a large storage machine in
my basement. It doesn't make sense to me to have a bunch of disk at each
client. Has anyone had success storing and retrieving video streams over
an ethernet network? Assuming I use 100Mb/s ethernet, is it enough to
handle encoding and decoding at the same time? What protocol have people
used, NFS?

Another question I had was has anyone tried a dual processor machine? It
seems that would go a long way to handling the demands of encoding and
decoding at the same time.

Thanks

Curtis