[mythtv] WinTV PVR-250 (hardware mpeg encoder)

Henk Poley mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri Jan 10 09:30:44 EST 2003

> Van: Isaac Richards <ijr@po.cwru.edu>
>> On Thursday 09 January 2003 02:24 pm, Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:
>>> On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 02:14:57PM -0500, Isaac Richards wrote:
>>>
>>> MythTV doesn't support any file format but its own.  I haven't found
>>> a software mpeg2 encoder that's decently fast enough to use, either.
>>> Nothing needs mpeg2 support but cards like that, so, yes, it would be
>>> just for that card.
>>
>> You haven't considered DVD support in a PVR?
>
> Uh, sure.  There's absolutely no need for mythtv to support playing DVDs
> natively, though.  There's plenty of other programs that it can just exec
> for that.

Sorry about this, but that's a pretty much bogus reason. You could also say
"heck, why would we need MythTV, we can already record shows with other
[commandline >:-)] programs. We'll automate it with our own script."

But I understand that there's not really a visual difference when you watch
DVDs at full screen with an external player, opposed to watching TV at full
screen in MythTV. You just need some program to map your remote/keyboard
commands to the ones needed by the external DVD player software.

Probably you can even display the MythTV OSD on top of it. Users want the
interface to be consistent. Problem would be to extract usefull data
(playback, remaining time, etc.) from an external DVD player to display on
screen.

btw, Issac, I don't mind if you say "I won't do it". But ehm, might be a
good idea to create a seperate "You could add this if you want" ToDo list
on the MythTV website? Off coarse it's OpenSource blahdy blahdy blah, but
people might like it if they see that other people have thought the same
thing. Most off the time you just need a little push. (or a "Cool ideas,
but nobody is working on it currently" listing)

	Henk Poley <><