[mythtv] Re: hardware mpeg encoder

Erik Arendse mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri Jan 10 14:22:03 EST 2003

At 10-1-03 14:57, Eric C. Cooper wrote:
>On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 08:51:32AM +0100, Tony Clark wrote:
> > The way to really do this is for a hardware opencore mpeg4
> > encoder/decoder on an FPGA with opensource drivers.  I would be more
> > than willing to do the FPGA side of things but and it is a BIG but,
> > the cost is just going to go through the roof.  You are probably
> > looking somewhere from 200 - 500 USD to get a PCI card made with a
> > decent FPGA on it as a hobby project.  The benefits would be a nice
> > low power PC with little in the way of cooling.  You could get away
> > with a complete, passively cooled device if your willing to spend
> > extra bucks on a PSU.
>
>This FPGA-based hobby project (http://www.thepowleys.com/lanpipe)
>mentions a $100 price point.  I'm curious where that big a cost
>difference would come from, since I'd love to see one of these
>available.

lanpipe uses a lowcost FPGA, as it only processes _audio_.
Video is a totally different league, Duma video developed a MPEG encoder
core to run on a Xilinx XC2V1500-5, and what I could find about that chip
indicates it costs about $300.

Should be possible to develop a more budget-system for our purposes, but I
think $500 is more likely then $200 if you are talking small (<1000) series.

Erik