[mythtv] What is the recommended sound card for MythTV? Can You Post your hardware, experiences, recommendstions

Brian Rehrig mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Tue Jan 7 02:47:38 EST 2003

>On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 16:45, Chris wrote:
>> I dont know if there is a hardware database somewhere with
>> recommendations but I thought its a good idea to start a thread like
>> this for anyone looking to put together a mythtv system.    I myself am
>> looking to buy a new sound card that would work well in Linux and with
>> Mythtv.
>>

>> I have a
>>
>> 1) Turtle Beach Sound Card
>>   With kernel drivers cs46xx for Turtle Beach --> duplex possible but
>> sound warbles and scratches especially at higher audio rates
>>                                               --> with alsa cvs, no
>> sound in watching live tv
>>
>> 2) CMI8738 onboard audio on Soyo KT400  --> with kernel driver cmipci,
>> the line in sound is barely perceptible on recorded videos
>>                                               --> with alsa cvs, no
>> sound in watching live tv
>>

>I have used a sblive value and and sb pci128(ct4750)also know as ensoniq
>1371.  I have had excellent results with both these cards using the OSS
>drivers.
>
>Generic Geforce 2 MX200 W/S-Videout
>MSI K7T Turbo2
>XP 1800+
>256MB PC133
>Aimslab Xtreme 98 TV Tuner <- OLD!!!
>(kept the hauppauge in my main box, has FM)
>80 GB Seagate Barracuda
>

>That's about it.  Quite a simple box.
>
>Calvin...

Calvin,
    I've got an sb 16pci that uses the ensoniq 1371 drivers that i can't
get to work no matter what I tweak!  You're using the OSS drivers?  With
full duplex enabled?  I've gotten the farthest with the OSS drivers, but
that amounts to the command line going to

Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
strange error flushing buffer...

Then in about 2 minutes, a black screen flashes, I'll get the "Couldn't
find Xv support, exiting" message, and I've got sound server debug messages
turned on and that pops up a dialog box that says sound server suspended...
 There's an 85mb or so rungbuf.nuv, so it seems to be doing something.  I
hate to kick a dead horse here, but....   Any ideas anyone?

Config:
Intel 1.8gig
Mandrake9 w/all the alsa stuff
ATI TV Wonder VE