[mythtv] Close captioning program

Matt Zimmerman mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri Jan 3 16:16:01 EST 2003

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 11:49:03PM -0800, Gregorio Gervasio Jr. wrote:

> VBI decoder -- There seem to be a few decoders floating around.
> Any opinions on what's the best one to start with?

I believe that's what was just posted to the list.

> file encoder -- Are there some standard formats for storing CC data
> streams?  I notice NuppelVideo allows for text blocks but it doesn't look
> like anyone uses it.  There was also some discussion in the list archives
> about being able to do string searches.

Yes, it would need to be stored in the stream somewhere.  I haven't looked
into this text support, but it sounds like the right thing if it is synched
with the other streams.

> display -- I suppose Tivo boxes add the CC stream back to the TV
> output for the TV hardware to decode but that seems like more trouble
> than it's worth.  (Is it even feasible through most video cards or
> VGA->NTSC converters?).  Anyway, mythtv needs the ability to overlay
> the CC display itself for people not using TV output.

In MythTV, the easiest thing would seem to be displaying the text using the
OSD.

--
 - mdz