[mythtv] Window focus problems (was: Using KDE Window Manager, how to remove toolbars)

Michael D. Cencula mythtvuser at cencula.com
Thu Feb 27 02:01:52 EST 2003

I've done some more looking into this trying to understand the behavior and
here's what I've found.  Mythtv works fine and there are no focus issues when
using the keyboard only.  Using lirc, however, gives the following results:

Use remote to select "watch recordings" -> brings up the "Select a recording
to view" dialog.
Use remote to select a recording and start watching it.
Use remote to exit recording (irxevent sends an Escape to CurrentWindow).

at this point, the "Select a recording to view" dialog is in front, but it
does not have the focus.  This is evident by the column headings titled
"Date" and "Title" are a subdued shade of blue...not the bright blue when the
window is focused.  If I hit the up and down arrows on the keyboard, the
selection bar will move from program to program...but the up and down arrows
on the remote do nothing.  Also, if I hit alt-tab once, the application
selector that pops up in the middle of the screen will highlight
mythfrontend<2>, which is the "Select a recording to view" dialog.  That
tells me that the other window named mythfrontend was active until I hit
alt-tab.  When I release the alt-tab, the "Date" and "Title" column headings
become bright blue and the remote works in this dialog once more.

Here's some speculation from a non-programmer:
I've looked at the irxevent code and it seems to use some functions like
XGetInputFocus() to find out what window to send the keypress characters to.
Since the MythTV menu window (Watch TV, Schedule a Recording, Watch
Recordings, etc) has the same name as the "Select a recording to view" dialog
(they're both called mythfrontend), I wonder if lirc (irxevent, actually) is
selecting the wrong window to send the kepress characters to.  If so, could
this problem be solved by changing the name of the "Select a recording to
view" dialog?

If I knew more about programming, I'd try to make some code changes to test
this theory out, but unfortunately I'm not that proficient.

Let me know if I can do anything else to help track this down.

Mike