[mythtv] PATCH: Commercial detection/skip using blank frames

Jeff_Mitchell at accessbusinessgroup.com Jeff_Mitchell at accessbusinessgroup.com
Tue Feb 25 09:40:53 EST 2003

I'd like to pipe in, asking for the ability to turn off auto-skip for
specific shows.  I can only think of one time I would want to disable
auto-skip for the purpose of *watching* the commercials, and it's not
coming around for another 11 months or so.  (It starts with a 'S', and ends
in 'uperbowl', although the commercials this year weren't as good as the
ones during the .com boom.)

This would also be useful for things like Law & Order, as I remember
someone talking about having some problems with commercial skipping being
triggered by the cuts between scenes.

Finally, I can't believe this code is only a week old, and people are
already reporting really good results, with only minor annoyances.

-Jeff

                    "Chris Pinkham"
                    <cpinkham at bc2va.org>       To:     mythtv-dev at snowman.net
                    Sent by:                   cc:
                    mythtv-dev-bounces at s       Subject:     Re: [mythtv] PATCH: Commercial detection/skip using blank frames
                    nowman.net

                    02/25/2003 12:31 AM
                    Please respond to
                    Development of
                    mythtv

> Here's a feature that would be nice:  Have Myth know the difference
> between channels with ads (normal broadcast) and channels without
> (HBO, other pay channels) and have it automatically disable commerical

I'm thinking 2-3 levels:

           - global auto-skip.  This would be either on or off.  This would
be
             in the main setup screen.
           - channel auto-skip.  This would be tri-state, on/off/default.
             would indicate use global setting.  This could be on the
channel
             set screen.
           - show auto-skip.  This would be tri-state as well.  If set to
default
             MythTV would first look at the default for the channel and if
that
             was default it would look at the system default.

The show auto-skip setting could be set when you selected a show to record.
It would default to 'default' of course so the user doesn't have to
do anything special if they already have their global and channel auto-skip
settings set.

Chris

** Chris Pinkham                  Linux v2.2.18, Sane v1.0.4, Cajun v3.0-8
**
** cpinkham at bc2va.org                          http://www.bc2va.org/chris/
**