[mythtv] PATCH: Commercial detection/skip using blank frames

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Mon Feb 24 10:54:50 EST 2003

> Van: Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org>
>
> I'd rather do it realtime if it doesn't take too much cpu.
> Post-processing will introduce other factors, such as if I'm recording 2
> shows in a row from say 8-9 and 9-10, I don't want my cpu to spike to
> 100% utilization at 9 because the first show is being processed for
> commercials (which you would normally want to run as fast as it can).

No, scanning should-be/is faster than than just playback, which idles
waiting for the next frame (else you have a "error! overflow occured in
/dev/user" ;). So you're going to end up ahead of your normal playback
anyways. Plus, any post-processing should _always_ be handled at a low
process priority. Else it might interrupt other processes, like playback or
recording.

And if you are for some reason writing out the 'skip-file' after the
commercial scanning has ended, then you can always add a toggle for a
dialog á la "The commercial scanning has not be completed.\n There
currently don't seem to be time critical processes, do you you want to
renice the scanning process?"

Just my 2 eurocents.

	Henk Poley <><