[mythtv] Correct way to write out to the settings table?

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Sat Feb 22 07:57:41 EST 2003

On Saturday 22 February 2003 07:18 am, Drew Whittle wrote:
> Confusion rains surpreme here, I have my doubts this is what I want,
> (please remember I'm only learning) what I want to do is take the value
> I have in "themename" and store it in the db as the theme that is used,
> no user interaction, no gui stuff, just save it.
>
> As you can see from my previous post I am just doing a db-exec with an
> UPDATE statement, but I figure there must be a nicer way to do it.
>
> I've tried to use what has been suggested and I have come to the
> conclusion that this is some sort of GUI stuff.
>
> Am I totally confused, barking up the wrong tree? Should I just stay
> with my db->exec code?

I think you're going about it wrong..  You should probably just have a toggle
setting for 'random theme' in the appearance dialog.  Then, when each of the
programs runs, they can check to see if that setting is set, and if it is,
scan for available themes and pick one randomly.  I don't think you'd need to
write the actual randomized theme name to the database at all.

Isaac