[mythtv] sql code

Andy Davidoff dert at pobox.com
Thu Feb 20 13:58:28 EST 2003

#if Isaac Richards /* Feb 20, 13:47 */
> Check out the UPGRADING files.

The problem was that I didn't want to blow away peoples' playlists.

I couldn't see how to do that without:
	1) using a scripting language (which you've objected to)
	2) putting the upgrade inline
	3) writing an upgrade tool

Do you have a better method?

Note that we're not exactly supporting multiple versions; we only save
in the new schema.

> You didn't copy the existing indentation style in the file you edited.

Apologies; I have vim setup to indicate tabs versus spaces, but I must have
missed a few of the original lines in the file.  Again, indent.pro would
have solved this problem.  I will craft my own.  Will you accept it as a
patch? ;-)

> > Under what circumstances will you accept patches to improve efficiency?
>
> When they actually improve efficiency enough to warrrant any additional
> obfusication of the code.  Speeding up something that happens once per
> execution and already doesn't take that long doesn't seem worth it.
#endif /* ijr at po.cwru.edu */

Point taken.

In this case, the broader goal here was to add greater functionality to the
playlist code.  The schema update is part of that, so even if you can't
abide by the efficiency concerns, please accept the attempt to improve the
featureset.