[mythtv] streaming MP3

Michael J. Sherman msherman at dsbox.com
Wed Feb 19 14:03:44 EST 2003

With the recent mention of MythRadio, I've been thinking about how best
to add streaming MP3 support.  I think it would be easiest to perhaps
add this as an additional aduio source in MythMusic.  The top level menu
of music sources in the "Select Music" menu listing could be:

+ My Music
+ Audio CD
+ Streaming Audio

Then you can configure it to list the streaming MP3 URLs you're
interested in under the Streaming Audio option.   I'm guessing a new
mysql table could be used (musicstreamlist?).

On playing the streaming source, it could use the same basic interface
as when playing MP3 or Ogg files, but the position slider would be
disabled, and the headers in the table would be altered I imagine to
something like #, Source instead of #, Artist, Title, Length.  You could
select multiple streaming servers and still use the |<< and >>| keys to
jump between streams.

I've done some hacking with icecast so I know a little about streaming
MP3 code, so I'd be happy to start on this and offer up some of the
changes in a while unless someone else would rather run with this.
Streaming MP3 is the last thing I really want in my mythical convergence
box ;).

Let me know what you all think.

-Mike

--
Michael J. Sherman  |  Software Developer
Digital Sandbox, Inc.  |  http://www.dsbox.com/