[mythtv] Test (crude) patch for commercial skipping

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Mon Feb 17 13:08:07 EST 2003

> This is a great idea, but wouldn't it be nicer if we could have some sort
> of post recording transcoding option that does this.

What if I want to skip commercials in a program I just recorded and am
now watching, and what about delayed LiveTV mode.  The commercial detection
routines can/should be generic enough to work with both background
commercial detection and foreground detection.

> I'm thinking along the lines of once the recording is done it goes through
> and cuts out the commercials.  That way the skip will be instant and the
> recorded program will be 40-50% smaller.

This would be nice, but what happens when the detection goes wrong and you
miss the last 10 minutes of the show because the code thought it was a
commercial.  I think a process to strip out the commercials would be nice,
but it should be triggered manually by default so you can look to make sure
it actually is only going to cut the commercials and not anything else.

Chris