[mythtv] Test (crude) patch for commercial skipping

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Mon Feb 17 09:22:50 EST 2003

> At 17-2-03 05:44, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> >Attached is a crude patch to help skip commercials.  It uses a little of
> >Robert Kulagowski's code in NuppelVideoPlayer::FindCommercial() in
> >NuppelVideoPlayer.cpp and adds functionality.
>
> I suppose this sort of thing only works when a commercial is seperated by
> black from the program?
> How does the blak get there, I have never seen it here, is it added by the
> broadcasters?
> Is it consistant?
> Is there any other way to detect commercials?

It's fairly consistent on some channels, but others seem to merge
things right together with no blank.  I believe there are better ways to
check for commercials but doubt there's a standard that will work for
everybody.  I was envisioning a setup option to determine what commercial
detection algorithm was used so the user could select the best for their
configuration/location.  I know there are several VCRs sold here in the U.S.
that will automatically skip commercials when playing back a tape.  My
grandmother has one from RCA and she says it works great and believe me,
she'd complain if it started skipping even one minute of her "The Price Is
Right" show. :)  I wonder if there's some signal/data in the area where
the CC/text data is at that indicates commercial or show start/stop.

Chris