[mythtv] Development languages?

Erik Arendse erik_nospam.arendse at bigfoot.com
Fri Feb 14 10:06:42 EST 2003

At 12-2-03 06:35, Anil Gupte wrote:
>Really a newbie question.  What language(s) are being used for MythTV
>development?  I am comfortable around Linux as a Sysadmin, but have major
>gaps in my knowledge - among them programming in Linux.

Myth internals are not for the faint of heart, but the code is quite good
readable for a project without any source-documentation. One way to get
started is trying to follow the current code. Choose a single app and try
to find out what makes it tick. Choose a small feature you would like to
add or improve and try to add it line by line.
On the other hand it might perhaps be better if you find a niche to work on
the admin side of Mythtv. Get it to work as 0.7, get it to work from CVS
and see if you can find something to do on the outside of the sourcecode.

>So, what languages should I learn to start dabbling in this stuff?  I am
>very comfortable with Lisp and Basic (MS DOS and also VB), and learned a
>little C before ++ came on the scene (am I dating myself?).  Also, any
>suggestions on books in the recommended languages will be appreciated.

Just try any 'getting started with c++' book or on-line course first,
preferably accompanied by something like 'object oriented programming for
beginners'. After that do all the learning stuff of the Trolltect QT
library. The last part only if you want to program for Myth or KDE, not
needed as a general rule with most projects.

Erik