[mythtv]

Peter Marriott peter at bms.net.au
Thu Feb 6 13:01:31 EST 2003

Hi Eric,

My thoughts so far after reading only the published docs (not the source
yet) from the motion.sourceforge.net site.

The bits that caught my eye from the motion docs:
1) --with-libavcodec=DIR
 Specify the path for libavcodec (part of ffmpeg)

I believe that this is the same base that the Nuppel video codec that
MythtV uses was developed from.  So one possibility would be to modify
motion, hopefully only slightly to be able to record files using the nuv
format.

So the way I see it, motion would begin recording the motion detection in
the nuv format, motion would notify myth that a recording had started and
you could jump to the view recording page to see the recording from hte
start, and fast forward to live etc.  Not sure how feasible this is, but
it should be possible.

2) Loopback device support....  this should mean motion could hang out in
the background, so that mythtv could use the same video feed recording to
its standard ringbuffer.

3) xml-rpc --- Motion provides a really easy way to control it, so a
quick and dirty approach could provide some functionality quite quickly.

At this stage I am leaning towards integrating motion if at all possible
as it seems to be a stable and fairly advanced system.

Cheers
Peter